Hostetter clinches match as Brevard improves win streak to fiveMarch 9, 2010
Tornados top UNC Pembroke, 8-1
Hilton Head, S.C. - Brevard took two of three doubles matches on the way to sweeping the singles and keeping their five match winning streak against non-Division I opponents alive by topping the UNC Pembroke Braves on Tuesday morning, 8-1.
The win places Brevard at 5-2, while Pembroke falls to 3-6.
The Tornados took a 2-1 advantage into singles play following 8-3 victories at both Nos. 2 and 3 doubles. Claire Dillman and Lindsay Hostetter defeated UNCP’s Meredith Pierson and Mia Winterbottom on court No. 2, while Brevard’s Jennifer Nyman and Kayley Duval upended Maricel Quintero-Prieto and Christian Minnick at No. 3 doubles. Oxendine/McGary would take the hard-fought win at No. 1 doubles over Kim Dixon and Lindsay Shaeffer to spoil the shutout for Brevard.
In singles play, Dillman ousted Pierson 6-0, 6-0 on on court No. 3, Duval defeated Oxendine 6-3, 6-1 at No. 5 singles and Hostetter beat Winterbottom 7-5, 6-0 on court No. 2 to clinch the team victory for the Tornados. Shaeffer handed McGary the loss with 6-2, 6-4 scores on court No. 1, while Dixon topped Minnick at No. 6 singles with a 6-4, 6-4 victory. Labus finished off the victory with a 6-2, 6-3 win over Quintero-Prieto.
Brevard is back in action on Wednesday, March 10th, as the Tornados take on Baldwin Wallace with first serve coming at 8 a.m.
1. Lindsay Shaeffer (BCW) def. Jenna McGary (UNCP) 6-2, 6-4
2. Lindsay Hostetter (BCW) def. Mia Winterbottom (UNCP) 7-5, 6-0
3. Claire Dillman (BCW) def. Meredith Pierson (UNCP) 6-0, 6-0
4. Elise Labus (BCW) def. Maricel Quintero (UNCP) 6-2, 6-3
5. Kayley Duval (BCW) def. Janna Oxendine (UNCP) 6-3, 6-1
6. Kim Dixon (BCW) def. Christian Minnick (UNCP) 6-4, 6-4
1. Jenna McGary/Janna Oxendine (UNCP) def. Kim Dixon/Lindsay Shaeffer (BCW) 8-6
2. Claire Dillman/Lindsay Hostetter (BCW) def. Meredith Pierson/Mia Winterbottom (UNCP) 8-3
3. Jennifer Nyman/Kayley Duval (BCW) def. Maricel Quintero/Christian Minnick (UNCP) 8-3