Feron seals win over George Mason, 4-3March 10, 2010
Tornados sweep doubles on their way to victory
Hilton Head, S.C. - Dorian Feron clinched the match for the Tornados at No. 4 singles as Brevard defeated NCAA Division I George Mason on Wednesday afternoon, 4-3.
The win gives the Tornados two in a row as Brevard moves to 3-5 on the season, while the Patriots fall to 1-3.
Brevard opened the match by sweeping all three doubles matches to receive the point. Feron and Scott McCormick topped Jorge Osuna and Kevin McMillan at No. 1 doubles, 8-3, while Cole Altizer and Jarred Fisher worked their way through Patrick Mulguin and Greg Donabedian at No. 2 doubles, 8-4. Andrew Thompson and Jonathan Kuhn teamed up to complete the sweep as the duo defeated Ariun Sanghvi and Sam Coster, 8-5, to put Brevard up 1-0 heading into singles competition.
McCormick defeated Osuna at No. 1 singles, 6-3, 6-1, but George Mason took the points at No. 2 and No. 3 singles as McMillan topped Altizer and Mulguin defeated Fisher. Thompson won at No. 5 singles for Brevard, defeating Sanghvi, 6-0, 6-1, leading to Feron clinching the match with his 6-2, 2-6, 1-0 (10-8) victory over Donabedian. Coster defeated BC’s Shane Apps to finish out the scoring.
The Tornados finish up their trip to Hilton Head, S.C. tomorrow afternoon as Brevard takes the courts against the College of Wooster at noon.
1. Scott McCormick (BC) def. Jorge Osuna (GMU) 6-3, 6-1
2. Kevin McMillan (GMU) def. Cole Altizer (BC) 7-5, 6-1
3. Patrick Mulguin (GMU) def. Jarred Fisher (BC) 6-3, 6-2
4. Dorian Feron (BC) def. Greg Donabedian (GMU) 6-2, 2-6, 1-0 (10-8)
5. Andrew Thompson (BC) def. Ariun Sanghvi (GMU) 6-0, 6-1
6. Sam Coster (GMU) def. Shane Apps (BC) 6-1, 6-3
1. Dorian Feron/Scott McCormick (BC) def. Jorge Osuna/Kevin McMillan (GMU) 8-3
2. Cole Altizer/Jarred Fisher (BC) def. Patrick Mulguin/Greg Donabedian (GMU) 8-4
3. Andrew Thompson/Jonathan Kuhn (BC) def. Ariun Sanghvi/Sam Coster (GMU) 8-5