Brevard falls to visiting Bulldogs, 7-0February 20, 2011
Tornados suffer first loss of the 2011 season
Brevard, N.C. - The Tornados fell in all three doubles matches, and though Lindsay Shaeffer threatened to give Brevard a point at the #1 singles position, Brevard fell to visiting UNC Asheville on Saturday afternoon at the McCoy Tennis Complex, 7-0.
The Bulldogs swept the doubles competitions to go up 1-0 early in the contest and continued to play well in taking Brevard in straight sets in five of the six singles matches. Shaeffer battled Stephanie Schon even throughout the first two sets at the #1 singles position at 6-2, 0-6, but the Preseason All-SAC first teamer was unable to take the point, falling in the third set 6-3 to complete the match.
Brevard falls to 1-1 on the season, while UNC Asheville improves to 4-3.
The Tornados continue the 2011 spring season on Tuesday, February 22nd, as they welcome Division I Western Carolina University to the McCoy Tennis Complex. First serve in doubles competition between the Tornados and the Catamounts is set for 3 p.m.
1. Stephanie Schon (UNCA) def. Lindsay Shaeffer (BCW) 6-2, 0-6, 6-3
2. Britney Cloer (UNCA) def. Claire Dillman (BCW) 6-0, 6-3
3. Zoe Hamal (UNCA) def. Lindsay Hostetter (BCW) 6-1, 6-2
4. Devon Cavanaugh (UNCA) def. Michelle Prata (BCW) 6-0, 6-2
5. Jackie McGuirk (UNCA) def. Jennifer Nyman (BCW) 6-1, 6-3
6. Nicole Schon (UNCA) def. Elise Labus (BCW) 6-1, 6-2
1. Stephanie Schon/Zoe Hamal (UNCA) def. Lindsay Hostetter/Claire Dillman (BCW) 8-2
2. Devon Cavanaugh/Britney Cloer (UNCA) def. Lindsay Shaeffer/Jennifer Nyman (BCW) 8-3
3. Nicole Schon/Jackie McGuirk (UNCA) def. Michelle Prata/Elise Labus (BCW) 8-2