Tornados fall 5-4 to Ashland in Hilton HeadMarch 7, 2011
The Tornados dropped three straight doubles matches to fall 5-4
Hilton Head Island, S.C. – The Brevard College women’s tennis team was unable to top Ashland University on Monday morning as they fell 5-4 after winning four of five singles matches.
The Tornados fell to 4-3 on the season and 1-1 on their spring trip.
Ashland and Brevard opened up with singles action. Michelle Prata picked up the first point of the match for Brevard by defeating Corinne Pasley 6-1, 7-5 at the #4 singles spot. Lindsay Hostetter was able to win in the #3 singles spot when she took down Paige Cooper 6-3, 6-1. Elise Labus took the #6 singles spot in three sets, 4-6, 6-0, 11-9, defeating Alex Ware. Lindsay Shaeffer won the final match of singles play by beating Torrie Goudy in straight sets in a hard-fought match, winning 7-5, 7-6.
The Tornados were unable to take down Ashland in any of their doubles matches. Dillman/Hostetter dropped the #1 doubles spot 8-4. Shaeffer/Nyman fell 9-7 at #2 doubles and Prata/Labus dropped the #3 spot 8-5 as the Tornados fell 5-4.
The Tornado women are back in action on Wednesday, March 9th at 8 a.m. when they take on the University of Indiana (Pa.).
1. Lindsay Shaeffer (BCW) def. Torrie Goudy (ASHU) 7-5, 7-6
2. Erika Sullivan (ASHU) def. Claire Dillman (BCW) 6-3, 6-0
3. Lindsay Hostetter (BCW) def. Paige Cooper (ASHU) 6-3, 6-1
4. Michelle Prata (BCW) def. Corinne Pasley (ASHU) 6-1, 7-5
5. Kira Kotova (ASHU) def. Jennifer Nyman (BCW) 6-0, 6-1
6. Elise Labus (BCW) def. Alex Ware (ASHU) 4-6, 6-0, 11-9
1. Torrie Goudy/Paige Cooper (ASHU) def. Claire Dillman/Lindsay Hostetter (BCW) 8-4
2. Corinne Pasley/Alex Ware (ASHU) def. Lindsay Shaeffer/Jennifer Nyman (BCW) 9-7
3. Erika Sullivan/Kira Kotova (ASHU) def. Michelle Prata/Elise Labus (BCW) 8-5