McCormick, Tornados down the Wolves, 8-1March 20, 2011
Brevard wins 2011 SAC opener
Brevard, N.C. - The Tornados men’s tennis team opened conference play with a vengeance, taking all three doubles matches from visiting Newberry College on Sunday afternoon, before taking five of the six singles matches to open SAC competition with the 8-1 victory.
Scott McCormick and Beau Wills set the tone early for Brevard (7-5, 1-0 SAC), taking the first point of the match at the no. 1 doubles position, 8-1. Sam MacNeil and Jonathon Lavelle teamed up to put Brevard up 2-0 with their 8-6 victory, before Jarred Fisher and Shane Apps completed the sweep on court no. 3 with the 8-5 victory over James Bethea and Jeffery Kiser.
In singles action, Apps pushed Brevard one point closer to victory with his opening 6-0, 6-1 victory on court no. 6 and McCormick clinched the win, recording his ninth straight victory at the no. 1 position with his 6-2, 6-0 victory.
David Sons gave the Wolves (3-9, 2-3 SAC) their lone point in the match at the no. 5 position, topping Lavelle with a 6-1, 6-4 victory.
Jarred Fisher and Beau Wills closed out their matches with straight set victories, before Sam MacNeil ended the match on court no. 2 in winning the third set tiebreaker, 3-6, 6-3, 10-5.
Brevard remains at home this week as they host Lenoir-Rhyne University on Wednesday afternoon at the McCoy Tennis Complex. Doubles action between the SAC rivals starts at 2:30 p.m.
1. Scott McCormick (BCM) def. Michael Saunders (NEWM) 6-2, 6-0
2. Sam MacNeil (BCM) def. Vinicius Botelho (NEWM) 3-6, 6-3, 10-5
3. Beau Wills (BCM) def. Mohammed Chakir (NEWM) 6-2, 6-3
4. Jarred Fisher (BCM) def. Michael Woolard (NEWM) 6-0, 6-0
5. David Sons (NEWM) def. Jonathon Lavelle (BCM) 6-1, 6-4
6. Shane Apps (BCM) def. Joel Hicks (NEWM) 6-0, 6-1
1. Scott McCormick/Beau Wills (BCM) def. Vinicius Botelho/David Sons (NEWM) 8-1
2. Sam MacNeil/Jonathon Lavelle (BCM) def. Michael Saunders/Mohammed Chakir (NEWM) 8-6
3. Jarred Fisher/Shane Apps (BCM) def. James Bethea/Jeffery Kiser (NEWM) 8-5