Tornados deny Bears in winning 8-1March 23, 2011
Brevard wins second SAC match of season
Brevard, N.C. - The Tornados took two of the three doubles matches and swept the singles matches on Wednesday afternoon at the McCoy Tennis Complex as Brevard won their second SAC conference match with the 8-1 victory over Lenoir-Rhyne.
The #16 regionally ranked Tornados improve to 8-5, 2-0 SAC on the season, while Lenoir-Rhyne falls to 1-9, 0-7 SAC.
Scott McCormick and Beau Wills won their doubles match, 8-2, over L-R’s Tommy Brennan and Arron Khatter to open action on Wednesday. Sam MacNeil and Cole Altizer overcame Matt Gaines and Robby Blackburn 8-6 on court no. 2 to put the Tornados up 2-0, but David Jackson and Nate Summer topped Jarred Fisher and Shane Apps on court no. 3, 8-5, to put the score at 2-1 BC heading into singles.
McCormick defeated Brennan 6-1 in the first set and won the second set 7-6 in a hard-fought match. MacNeil also overcame Khatter in a tough match at no. 2 singles, winning 7-5, 6-3, while the Tornados completed the singles sweep by winning in straight sets on all four of the other courts.
Brevard takes to the road this weekend as they travel to Salisbury, N.C. to take on Catawba College on Friday afternoon. Doubles competition at the Johnson Tennis Center will begin at 2 p.m.
1. Scott McCormick (BCM) def. Tommy Brennan (LRU) 6-1, 7-6
2. Sam MacNeil (BCM) def. Aroon Khatter (LRU) 7-5, 6-3
3. Beau Wills (BCM) def. Graydon Dunn (LRU) 6-1, 6-0
4. Cole Altizer (BCM) def. David Jackson (LRU) 6-0, 6-2
5. Jarred Fisher (BCM) def. Matt Gaines (LRU) 6-3, 6-1
6. Shane Apps (BCM) def. Robby Blackburn (LRU) 6-0, 6-1
1. Scott McCormick/Beau Wills (BCM) def. Tommy Brennan/Aroon Khatter (LRU) 8-2
2. Sam MacNeil/Cole Altizer (BCM) def. Matt Gaines/Robby Blackburn (LRU) 8-6
3. David Jackson/Nate Summer (LRU) def. Jarred Fisher/Shane Apps (BCM) 8-5