Tornados win sixth straight in 8-1 defeat of Lenoir-Rhyne
Brevard sweeps singles to improve to 2-0 in SAC
Brevard, N.C. - The BC women’s tennis team continued their winning ways, winning their sixth consecutive match on Wednesday afternoon in defeating visiting Lenoir-Rhyne, 8-1.
The streak, which began on March 11th over Charleston (W.V.), improves the Tornados record to 9-5, 2-0 SAC on the season, while Lenoir-Rhyne falls to 1-10, 1-6 in conference play.
Kelsey Love and Emily Mauser took the first point for the Bears, winning at no. 1 doubles, 8-6, over Brevard’s Lindsay Hostetter and Claire Dillman. The Tornados evened the score as Lindsay Shaeffer and Jennifer Nyman on court 2, 8-0, while Elise Labus and Michelle Prata put Brevard ahead with their 8-4 victory at the no. 3 position.
In singles action, the Tornados took five of the six matches in straight sets, with Labus sweeping her opponent in a 6-0, 6-0 victory. Hostetter’s match on court no. 2 went to three sets, and the junior won the tiebreaker in defeating Love, 4-6, 6-0, 10-5 to complete the afternoon for Brevard.
The Tornados return to the courts on Friday afternoon in Salisbury, N.C. as they take on SAC opponent Catawba College. First serve at the Johnson Tennis Center is set for 2 p.m.
1. Lindsay Shaeffer (BCW) def. Emily Mauser (LRU) 6-3, 6-2
2. Lindsay Hostetter (BCW) def. Kelsey Love (LRU) 4-6, 6-0, 10-5
3. Claire Dillman (BCW) def. Ivey Tant (LRU) 6-1, 6-0
4. Michelle Prata (BCW) def. Cathryn Jarrett (LRU) 6-0, 6-1
5. Jennifer Nyman (BCW) def. Lizzie Warlick (LRU) 6-1, 6-0
6. Elise Labus (BCW) def. Amanda Young (LRU) 6-0, 6-0
1. Kelsey Love/Emily Mauser (LRU) def. Lindsay Hostetter/Claire Dillman (BCW) 8-6
2. Lindsay Shaeffer/Jennifer Nyman (BCW) def. Cathryn Jarrett/Ivey Tant (LRU) 8-0
3. Elise Labus/Michelle Prata (BCW) def. Lizzie Warlick/Amanda Young (LRU) 8-4