Tornados keep streak alive with 5-4 victory over Catawba
Brevard takes top three singles matches to defeat Indians
Salisbury, N.C. - The regionally ranked BC men’s tennis team continued their winning ways on Friday afternoon, topping the Catawba College Indians in conference play at the Johnson Tennis Center, 5-4.
The Tornados improve to 9-5, 3-0 SAC, while the Indians fall to 12-7, 3-4 in conference play.
Brevard took two of the three doubles matches to start off play as Beau Wills and Scott McCormick defeated Pierce Hoover and Thomas Mitchell on court no. 1, 8-2 and Cole Altizer and Sam MacNeil combined to top Alex Macdonald and Matthew Nicholson, 8-4. Tom McCormack and Uri Yarkoni provided the Indians with a point on court no. 3 with their 8-3 victory.
Moving to singles play, the Tornados took victories on courts 1, 2 and 3, to win the match while Catawba swept 4, 5 and 6 keeping it close throughout the duration of the contest.
Brevard remains on the road in conference play tomorrow afternoon as they travel to Wingate, N.C. to take on undefeated and nationally-ranked Wingate University. Doubles competition opens the match and begins at noon.
1. Scott McCormick (BCM) def. Thomas Mitchell (CATAWBA) 6-0, 6-0
2. Sam MacNeil (BCM) def. Jess Goodall (CATAWBA) 6-0, 6-4
3. Beau Wills (BCM) def. Alex Macdonald (CATAWBA) 6-4, 6-0
4. Pierce Hoover (CATAWBA) def. Cole Altizer (BCM) 6-2, 6-1
5. Tom McCormack (CATAWBA) def. Jarred Fisher (BCM) 6-1, 6-1
6. Matthew Nicholson (CATAWBA) def. Shane Apps (BCM) 6-3, 6-2
1. Beau Wills/Scott McCormick (BCM) def. Pierce Hoover/Thomas Mitchell (CATAWBA) 8-2
2. Cole Altizer/Sam MacNeil (BCM) def. Alex Macdonald/Matthew Nicholson (CATAWBA) 8-4
3. Tom McCormack/Uri Yarkoni (CATAWBA) def. Jarred Fisher/Shane Apps (BCM) 8-3