Tornados topple Lincoln Memorial on Senior Day, 5-4April 8, 2011
Brevard recognizes McCormick, Altizer and Apps before match
Brevard, N.C. - The Brevard College men’s tennis team recognized their three seniors Friday afternoon at the McCoy Tennis Complex and the Tornados celebrated their accomplishments as the Southeast #19 regionally-ranked Tornados defeated #15 Lincoln Memorial, 5-4.
The Tornados improve to 13-5 overall and remain undefeated in South Atlantic Conference play by improving to 7-0. Lincoln Memorial falls to 9-5, 5-2 in conference competition.
Scott McCormick and Beau Wills gave the Tornados their first point of the afternoon, defeating Philipp Hoffman and Tom Goossens on court no. 1, 8-4. Sam MacNeil and Cole Altizer gave Brevard their second point of the afternoon as they topped Marcelo Alvim and Alexey Minevskiy, 8-4. Stefan Hall and Michael Koenen put LMU on the board with their 8-6 win on court no. 3.
McCormick fell in his first SAC match of the season, falling to #35 Hoffman in straight sets, 6-2, 6-2. However Brevard recorded wins on courts 2, 3 and 4 as MacNeil topped Minevskiy, 6-1, 6-0, Wills defeated Alvim, 6-4, 6-2 and Altizer downed Koenen 6-4, 6-2 to give the Tornados the win.
Goossens and Hall recorded three set wins on courts 5 and 6 to end the match.
Brevard remains at home as they host Anderson University in their final match at the McCoy Tennis Complex in the 2011 season. The Tornados and Trojans will square off with doubles competition beginning at 1 p.m.
1. #35 Philipp Hoffmann (LMU) def. Scott McCormick (BCM) 6-2, 6-2
2. Sam MacNeil (BCM) def. Alexey Minevskiy (LMU) 6-1, 6-0
3. Beau Wills (BCM) def. Marcelo Alvim (LMU) 6-4, 6-2
4. Cole Altizer (BCM) def. Michael Koenen (LMU) 6-4, 6-2
5. Tom Goossens (LMU) def. Jarred Fisher (BCM) 6-2, 2-6, 10-4
6. Stefan Hall (LMU) def. Shane Apps (BCM) 6-7, 6-3, 10-6
1. Scott McCormick/Beau Wills (BCM) def. #17 Philipp Hoffmann/Tom Goossens (LMU) 8-4
2. Sam MacNeil/Cole Altizer (BCM) def. Marcelo Alvim/Alexey Minevskiy (LMU) 8-4
3. Stefan Hall/Michael Koenen (LMU) def. Jarred Fisher/Shane Apps (BCM) 8-6