Tornados fall in tough match against #39 WingateApril 15, 2011
Await seeding from conference office for 2011 Food Lion SAC tournament
Wingate, N.C. - The Brevard College men’s tennis team took a 4-2 lead with three matches to play in the de facto SAC regular season championship at Wingate University, but the #39 Bulldogs rallied back on courts 4, 5 and 6 to win 5-4 and capture the title.
The Tornados fall to 13-7, 7-2 SAC, while Wingate improves to 16-3, 9-0 in conference play.
Fernando Montemurro and Greg Machado put Wingate on the board first with their 8-6 victory over the Tornados on court no. 3. Scott McCormick and Beau Wills evened up the match on court no. 1, improving to 9-0 in the conference with their 9-7 victory over Andrew Owen and Flavio Rathsam. Matthew Lichtenstein and Braeden Patchell however gave the Bulldogs the 2-1 lead with their 9-7 win over Sam MacNeil and Cole Altizer on court no. 2.
McCormick evened the score in singles play, taking the match on court no. 1 over #36 Lichtenstein, winning in straight sets, 6-3, 6-4, snapping a two match skid in singles play. Sam MacNeil improved his record on court no. 2 to 9-0 in conference play as the freshman defeated Owen in straight sets, 6-4, 7-5. Wills made it a sweep through the first trip on the courts at the WU Tennis Complex as he outduel Rathsam on court no. 3, 6-3, 7-6 (10-4), leaving Brevard just one point away from clinching the match and winning the title.
However, almost similar to last year’s match in the 2010 Food Lion South Atlantic Conference tournament, Wingate came roaring back, taking the match on court no. 6 behind Forbes’ 6-0, 6-1 victory. Wingate evened the score on court no. 4 as Patchell defeated Altizer, 6-2, 6-2 and Montemurro clinched the match with his 6-1, 6-2 victory.
The Tornados will now wait to see where they are seeded in the 2011 Food Lion South Atlantic Conference, with seeds 3-6 playing on Wednesday morning at the Rock Hill Tennis Center in Rock Hill, S.C., while the top two seeds receive byes into the semifinal rounds.
1. Scott McCormick (BCM) def. #36 Matthew Lichtenstein (WIN) 6-3, 6-4
2. Sam MacNeil (BCM) def. Andrew Owen (WIN) 6-4, 7-5
3. Beau Wills (BCM) def. Flavio Rathsam (WIN) 6-3, 7-6 (10-4)
4. Braeden Patchell (WIN) def. Cole Altizer (BCM) 6-2, 6-2
5. Fernando Montemurro (WIN) def. Jarred Fisher (BCM) 6-1, 6-2
6. Ryan Forbes (WIN) def. Shane Apps (BCM) 6-0, 6-1
1. Scott McCormick/Beau Wills (BCM) def. Andrew Owen/Flavio Rathsam (WIN) 9-7
2. Matthew Lichtenstein/Braeden Patchell (WIN) def. Sam MacNeil/Cole Altizer (BCM) 9-7
3. Fernando Montemurro/Greg Machado (WIN) def. Jarred Fisher/Shane Apps (BCM) 8-6