Tornados advance to SAC Semifinals with 5-1 victory
Shaeffer clinches Brevard win in quarterfinals
Rock Hill, S.C. - The no. 3 seed Brevard College women’s tennis team defeated the no. 6 Tusculum College Pioneers on Wednesday afternoon at the Rock Hill Tennis Center, as the Tornados advanced to the 2011 Food Lion South Atlantic Conference semifinals behind their 5-1 quarterfinal victory.
Claire Dillman and Michelle Prata struck first for the Tornados on court no. 2, topping Katie Hillis and Kristen Keefer, 8-2 for the first point of the match. Lindsay Shaeffer and Lindsay Hostetter put Brevard up 2-0 after a hard-fought 8-6 victory on court no. 1 by Courtney Conley and Taylor Patterson.
Blake Thompson and Megan Buckmaster put the Pioneers on the board on court no. 3, downing Elise Labus and Jennifer Nyman 9-7 to send the score to 2-1 heading into singles action.
Dillman recorded the first point of singles play for the Tornados on court no. 3 as the 2011 All-SAC Second Teamer defeated Buckmaster in straight sets 6-2, 6-0. Prata finished shortly after on court no. 4, defeating Keefer 6-4, 6-2 to put the Tornados within one match of advancing to the SAC semifinals.
With matches on courts no. 2 and no. 5 heading into the third set and court no. 6 about to start play, Shaeffer took the final point of the match on court no. 1, halting play as she clinched the win for the Tornados with her 6-2, 6-2 victory over Conley.
"Tusculum came ready for the match and played very well and we rose to the occasion," said BC Head Coach Nicole Bumgarner. "It was a big win for Brevard today and very appropriate for our senior (Shaeffer) to clinch the match after the way she played today."
Brevard advances to their third consecutive Food Lion South Atlantic Conference tournament semifinals since joining the SAC back in 2008 and will take on no. 2 seed Mars Hill College at the Rock Hill Tennis Complex tomorrow afternoon at 1 p.m.
1. Lindsay Shaeffer (BCW) def. Courtney Conley (TCW) 6-2, 6-2
2. Lindsay Hostetter (BCW) vs. Taylor Patterson (TCW) 6-2, 5-6, unfinished
3. Claire Dillman (BCW) def. Megan Buckmaster (TCW) 6-2, 6-0
4. Michelle Prata (BCW) def. Kristen Keefer (TCW) 6-4, 6-2
5. Jennifer Nyman (BCW) vs. Blake Thomspon (TCW) 3-6, 6-3, unfinished
6. Elise Labus (BCW) vs. Katie Hillis (TCW) unfinished
1. Lindsay Hostetter/Lindsay Shaeffer (BCW) def. Courtney Conley/Taylor Patterson (TCW) 8-6
2. Claire Dillman/Michelle Prata (BCW) def. Katie Hillis/Kristen Keefer (TCW) 8-2
3. Blake Thomspon/Megan Buckmaster (TCW) def. Elise Labus/Jennifer Nyman (BCW) 9-7
#6 Tusculum 11-9
#3 Brevard 15-7
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (3,4,1)
Quarterfinal round of the 2011 Food Lion South Atlantic Conference Tournament
Brevard advances to face #2 Mars Hill tomorrow afternoon at 1 p.m.