Finch clinches Tornados 5-4 victory over Young Harris
MacNeil takes first singles win in 2012 season
Brevard, N.C. - George Finch clinched a back-and-forth match for the Tornados on Sunday afternoon against Young Harris, while Sam MacNeil recorded his first singles victory of the season as Brevard topped the Mountain Lions, 5-4.
Brevard improves to 2-2 on the season, while Young Harris falls to 3-7.
Young Harris took two of the three doubles matches to take the early lead at the McCoy Tennis Complex. Martin Harach and Keon Gottenbos topped Rory Northam and Stefano Giovanolli on court no. 2, 8-2, while Tom Gibaud and Devin Hampton defeated Finch and Jonathon Lavelle on court no. 3, 8-5. MacNeil and Beau Wills prevented the Young Harris sweep by taking the point on court no. 1, 8-3, over Gabriel Oliveira and Joan Valls.
In singles action, MacNeil, Northam and Havens recorded wins for Brevard, taking straight set victories over their opponents, while Valls and Gibaud took victories on courts 2 and 4. Gibaud topped Giovanolli in three sets, setting up the deciding match on court no. 5 between Finch and Gottenbos.
Gottenbos struck first, taking the first set 6-3 against the Tornados freshman, but Finch answered in the second set with a 6-2 tying win. Finch concluded the final set with a decisive 6-1 victory to give the Tornados their second victory on the season.
Brevard returns to the road on Monday, March 5th for their annual Spring Break trip to Hilton Head Island, S.C. The Tornados open up their week at the beach against Ashford.
1. Sam MacNeil (BCM) def. Gabriel Oliveira (YHC) 6-1, 6-0
2. Joan Valls (YHC) def. Beau Wills (BCM) 6-2, 6-3
3. Rory Northam (BCM) def. Martin Harach (YHC) 6-3, 6-4
4. Tom Gibaud (YHC) def. Stefano Giovanolli (BCM) 6-1, 6-2
5. George Finch (BCM) def. Keon Gottenbos (YHC) 3-6, 6-2, 6-1
6. Rob Havens (BCM) def. Devin Hampton (YHC) 6-2, 7-6 (7-3)
1. Sam MacNeil/Beau Wills (BCM) def. Gabriel Oliveira/Joan Valls (YHC) 8-3
2. Martin Harach/Keon Gottenbos (YHC) def. Rory Northam/Stefano Giovanolli (BCM) 8-2
3. Tom Gibaud/Devin Hampton (YHC) def. George Finch/Jonathon Lavelle (BCM) 8-5