Bulldogs down Tornados at Crowne Plaza
Dillman takes McNall to the limit in best match of the day
Asheville, N.C. - Claire Dillman took Emily McNall to three sets and the Tornados battled hard on doubles courts 2 and 3, but UNC Asheville was able to close out the victory over Brevard on Monday afternoon, taking the 7-0 win at the Crowne Plaza Tennis Center.
Brevard falls to 2-2, while UNC Asheville improves to 4-6 on the season.
Zoe Hamel and Devon Cavanaugh gave UNC Asheville their first doubles victory, topping Dillman and Michelle Prata on court no. 1, 8-1. Brevard’s teams of Lindsay Hostetter/Jennifer Nyman and Ellie Bartholomew/Elise Labus took their opponents to the limit on courts 2 and 3, but McNall/Christine Boissevain and Amryn Soldier/Jenna Dodge were able to pull out matching 8-4 victories to put the Bulldogs up 1-0 after doubles play.
UNC Asheville took straight set victories on courts 1, 3, 4, 5 and 6, with Dillman and McNall providing the best match of the afternoon on court no. 2. McNall took the first set 6-4, but Dillman roared back in the second set, evening the match with a 6-3 victory. In the final set, McNall took the match with a 10-5 victory on the tiebreaker to complete the Bulldogs’ sweep.
Brevard returns home to Brevard, N.C. as they welcome NCAA Division I Gardner-Webb University to the McCoy Tennis Complex on Thursday, March 1st. First serve in doubles competition between the Tornados and the Runnin’ Bulldogs is set for 2 p.m.
1. Zoe Hamel (UNCA) def. Lindsay Hostetter (BCW) 6-1, 6-1
2. Emily McNall (UNCA) def. Claire Dillman (BCW) 6-4, 3-6, 10-5
3. Amryn Soldier (UNCA) def. Michelle Prata (BCW) 6-1, 6-1
4. Christine Boissevain (UNCA) def. Elise Labus (BCW) 6-1, 6-2
5. Jenna Dodge (UNCA) def. Jennifer Nyman (BCW) 6-2, 6-0
6. Devon Cavanaugh (UNCA) def. Ellie Bartholomew (BCW) 6-0, 6-0
1. Zoe Hamel/Devon Cavanaugh (UNCA) def. Claire Dillman/Michelle Prata (BCW) 8-1
2. Emily McNall/Christine Boissevain (UNCA) def. Lindsay Hostetter/Jennifer Nyman (BCW) 8-4
3. Amryn Soldier/Jenna Dodge (UNCA) def. Ellie Bartholomew/Elise Labus (BCW) 8-4