MacNeil takes doubles and singles victories in loss to Sailfish
Brevard drops a heartbreaker on tiebreakers against Palm Beach Atlantic
Hilton Head, S.C. - Sam MacNeil and Beau Wills took a point for the Tornados in doubles play and Brevard rallied to tie the match on George Finch’s singles victory on court no. 5, but Luke Bolanos gave the match to the Sailfish on Wednesday morning, winning the third set tiebreaker to give Palm Beach Atlantic the 5-4 victory over Brevard.
The Tornados fall to 4-4, while Palm Beach Atlantic improves to 4-5.
Bolanos and Giuseppe Guarnieri took the first point of the match, topping Rory Northam and Stefano Giovanolli on court no. 2, 8-4 and Nick Hines and Jaime Verd gave PBA the doubles advantage with their 8-4 victory on court no. 3 against Rob Havens and Jonathon Lavelle. MacNeil and Wills rallied to take the final point in doubles play, defeating Mick Lyons and Eric Wade 8-6 on court no. 1, sending the teams into singles competition.
Havens opened singles competition topping Hines in straight sets on court no. 6, 7-5, 6-0 to even the overall score in the match and MacNeil followed with a 7-5, 6-2 win on court no. 1 over Lyons to give the Tornados their first advantage in the contest.
Wade and Guarnieri gave the lead back to the Sailfish with victories on courts no. 3 and 4, but Finch came back with the tying victory on court no. 5, topping Verd 7-6, 7-5, sending all parties to watch the final match on court no. 2 between Wills and Bolanos.
Wills took the first set, 7-5, but Bolanos answered with a 6-3 victory in the second set, sending the duo into the deciding tiebreaker. Bolanos clinched the victory with a 10-5 win, giving the Sailfish their fourth victory of the season.
Brevard remains on the road during Spring Break as they take on Michigan Tech tomorrow morning in Hilton Head, S.C.
1. Sam MacNeil (BCM) def. Mick Lyons (PBA) 7-5, 6-2
2. Luke Bolanos (PBA) def. Beau Wills (BCM) 5-7, 6-3, 10-5
3. Giuseppe Guarnieri (PBA) def. Rory Northam (BCM) 6-3, 3-6, 10-5
4. Eric Wade (PBA) def. Stefano Giovanolli (BCM) 6-3, 7-5
5. George Finch (BCM) def. Jaime Verd (PBA) 7-6, 7-5
6. Rob Havens (BCM) def. Nick Hines (PBA) 7-5, 6-0
1. Sam MacNeil/Beau Wills (BCM) def. Mick Lyons/Eric Wade (PBA) 8-6
2. Luke Bolanos/Giuseppe Guarnieri (PBA) def. Rory Northam/Stefano Giovanolli (BCM) 8-4
3. Nick Hines/Jaime Verd (PBA) def. Rob Havens/Jonathon Lavelle (BCM) 8-4