MacNeil, Wills go undefeated, but Trojans record win against BrevardMarch 28, 2012
Tornados fall in conference play to Anderson, 6-3
Anderson, S.C. - Sam MacNeil and Beau Wills both went undefeated on the day against #29 Anderson University as the Tornados sophomore duo combined to win their doubles match, before each earning three-set singles wins, but it was not enough as the Trojans topped Brevard on Wednesday afternoon, 6-3.
The Tornados fall to 7-9, 1-2 in the South Atlantic Conference, while Anderson improves to 9-5, 7-0 in SAC competition.
MacNeil and Wills gave Brevard their first point of the afternoon on court no. 1, topping Stan Atema and Daniel Gonzalez, 8-6, but Anderson went into singles play with the 2-1 advantage as Kystof Gulbinovic and Deni Mehagic topped Rory Northam and Jonathon Lavelle on court no. 2, 8-1, and Loic Ambroise and Trey Halbauer defeated George Finch and Stefano Giovanolli on court no. 3, 8-5.
In singles play, Anderson took the match by winning the singles matches on courts 3, 4, 5 and 6 to earn the victory.
MacNeil/Atema and Wills/Mehagic combined to play two of the matches of the season on courts no. 1 and 2.
MacNeil took the first set from Atema, who came into today’s match as the #18 ranked individual in the region, going up 6-2. Atema came back to even the match with a 6-4 victory in set two, but MacNeil closed out the win with a 6-3 victory in set three to remain undefeated in SAC play on the season.
Wills also remained undefeated in the SAC in the 2012 season, earning his eighth consecutive singles victory as the New Zealand sophomore opened the match with a 6-2 win in the first set. Mehagic came back to even the score with a 7-6 victory in the second set, but Wills took home the win with a 7-5 victory in the deciding third set to record the win.
Brevard returns home to the McCoy Tennis Complex on Saturday, March 31st, as the Tornados remain in South Atlantic Conference play hosting Wingate University. First serve between the Tornados and the Bulldogs is set for 11 a.m.
1. Sam MacNeil (BCM) def. Stan Atema (AUM) 6-2, 4-6, 6-3
2. Beau Wills (BCM) def. Deni Mehagic (AUM) 6-2, 6-7, 7-5
3. Kystof Gulbinovic (AUM) def. Rory Northam (BCM) 7-5, 6-1
4. Daniel Gonzalez (AUM) def. George Finch (BCM) 6-2, 6-4
5. Loic Ambroise (AUM) def. Stefano Giovanolli (BCM) 6-2, 6-2
6. Trey Halbauer (AUM) def. Rob Havens (BCM) 6-1, 6-0
1. Sam MacNeil/Beau Wills (BCM) def. Stan Atema/Daniel Gonzalez (AUM) 8-6
2. Kystof Gulbinovic/Deni Mehagic (AUM) def. Rory Northam/Jonathon Lavelle (BCM) 8-1
3. Loic Ambroise/Trey Halbauer (AUM) def. George Finch/Stefano Giovanolli (BCM) 8-5