MacNeil, Wills continue winning ways in loss to Wingate
Brevard falls to 1-3 in SAC play with 6-3 defeat to Bulldogs
Brevard, N.C. - Sam MacNeil and Beau Wills continued their undefeated streak in South Atlantic Conference play, sweeping both their doubles and their singles matches, but Wingate took everything else with Matthew Lichtenstein clinching the match for the Bulldogs on court no. 3 as Wingate topped Brevard, 6-3.
Brevard falls to 7-10, 1-3 in South Atlantic Conference play on the season, while Wingate improves to 12-5, 6-0 in the SAC with their victory at the McCoy Tennis Complex.
Andrew Owen and Lichtenstein opened the scoring for the visitors, defeating Rory Northam and Jonathon Lavelle on court no. 2, 8-1, for the first point of the match. Ryan Forbes and Diego Martinez followed with an 8-3 win on court no. 3, topping Brevard’s George Finch and Stefano Giovanolli.
MacNeil and Wills sent the match into singles play with the score 2-1 in favor of Wingate, as the Brevard sophomore duo topped Flavio Rathsam and Neal Towlson on court no. 1, 8-5.
In singles action, Martinez and Towlson recorded straight set wins on courts 4 and 5, putting the Bulldogs within one victory of clinching the victory. Lichtenstein followed shortly after with a 6-0, 6-1 win on court no. 3 to clinch the match. Forbes added the final Bulldog point on court no. 6, topping Rob Havens 6-2, 6-2.
Brevard rallied to take the final two points of the match as MacNeil continued his run of success in SAC competition, improving to 13-0 lifetime in the SAC regular season singles play with his 6-3, 6-1 victory on court no. 1. Wills added the final BC point in the match of the day, topping Owen on court no. 2 in a third set tiebreaker to close out the match.
Brevard remains at home and in South Atlantic Conference action as the Tornados host Catawba College on Monday, April 2nd. First serve between the Tornados and the Indians at the McCoy Tennis Complex is set for 2 p.m.
1. Sam MacNeil (BCM) def. Flavio Rathsam (WIN_M) 6-3, 6-1
2. Beau Wills (BCM) def. Andrew Owen (WIN_M) 4-6, 6-3, 10-5
3. Matthew Lichtenstein (WIN_M) def. Rory Northam (BCM) 6-0, 6-1
4. Diego Martinez (WIN_M) def. Stefano Giovanolli (BCM) 6-0, 6-1
5. Neal Towlson (WIN_M) def. George Finch (BCM) 6-1, 6-2
6. Ryan Forbes (WIN_M) def. Rob Havens (BCM) 6-2, 6-2
1. Sam MacNeil/Beau Wills (BCM) def. Flavio Rathsam/Neal Towlson (WIN_M) 8-5
2. Andrew Owen/Matthew Lichtenstein (WIN_M) def. Rory Northam/Jonathon Lavelle (BCM) 8-1
3. Ryan Forbes/Diego Martinez (WIN_M) def. George Finch/Stefano Giovanolli (BCM) 8-3