Wills and MacNeil undefeated against TusculumApril 10, 2012
Tornados fall to Pioneers 6-3 in SAC play
Greeneville, Tenn. - Sam MacNeil and Beau Wills again swept the competition on Tuesday afternoon as the Brevard sophomore duo took victories in both singles and doubles, but host Tusculum took the remainder of the matches as the Pioneers recorded the 6-3 victory.
The Tornados fall to 7-14, 1-7 in South Atlantic Conference play, while Tusculum improves to 11-9, 5-4 in SAC action.
MacNeil and Wills improved to 8-0 in the SAC at the no. 1 doubles position, topping Lukas Winkelmann and Stefan Vergeer 8-4 for the first BC point of the match. Steven Lin and Paul Wiederspahn defeated Rory Northam and Jonathon Lavelle on court no. 2, 8-1 to even the score, while Drew Kiser and John Taylor gave the Pioneers the 2-1 edge heading into singles competition with an 8-3 victory over Stefano Giovanolli and George Finch.
MacNeil remained undefeated at no. 1 singles this season as well, as the sophomore from Dunfermline, Scotland improved to 17-0 in SAC singles action in his career, topping Winkelmann in the first set 6-1, before the Tusculum athlete had to retire. Wills also recorded the win on court no. 2, topping Tony Bujana in straight sets 6-0-, 6-3.
Tusculum took three of the remaining four singles matches in straight sets, with Brevard’s Rob Havens forcing Kiser to a third set tiebreaker on court no. 6. Brevard dropped the first set 6-4, but rallied to take the second set 6-0, forcing the final showdown, but Kiser closed out the Pioneer win with a 10-8 victory to close out the match.
Brevard remains on the road as the Tornados close out South Atlantic Conference play on Friday, April 13th, as Brevard travels to take on Newberry College. First serve in Newberry, S.C. between the Tornados and the Wolves is set for 2 p.m.
1. Sam MacNeil (BCM) def. Lukas Winkelmann (TCM) 6-1, retired
2. Beau Wills (BCM) def. Tony Bujana (TCM) 6-0, 6-3
3. Paul Wiederspahn (TCM) def. Rory Northam (BCM) 6-4, 6-0
4. Steven Lin (TCM) def. Stefano Giovanolli (BCM) 6-3, 6-3
5. Stefan Vergeer (TCM) def. George Finch (BCM) 6-0, 6-4
6. Drew Kiser (TCM) def. Rob Havens (BCM) 6-4, 0-6, 1-0 (10-8)
1. Sam MacNeil/Beau Wills (BCM) def. Lukas Winkelmann/Stefan Vergeer (TCM) 8-4
2. Steven Lin/Paul Wiederspahn (TCM) def. Rory Northam/Jonathon Lavelle (BCM) 8-1
3. Drew Kiser/John Taylor (TCM) def. Stefano Giovanolli/George Finch (BCM) 8-3