Labus clinches berth into postseason as Tornados top Wolves, 6-3April 13, 2012
Nyman records pair of wins in final regular season action
Newberry, S.C. - Brevard College is returning to the Food Lion South Atlantic Conference tournament for the fourth consecutive season as Elise Labus clinched the victory on court no. 4 in straight sets as the Tornados topped Newberry on Friday afternoon at the Cannon Tennis Court, 6-3.
Shannon McManus and Marina Ziehe gave Newberry their first point of the match, topping Labus and Ana Drummond on court no. 3 in doubles play, winning 8-2. Lindsay Hostetter and Jennifer Nyman evened the match with an 8-3 victory over Romina Adum and Emily Helsel. Claire Dillman and Michelle Prata concluded doubles play and gave Brevard the 2-1 edge heading into singles action with an 8-2 victory on court no. 1 over Ariel Strong and Susana Aguirre.
Aguirre evened the score after Hostetter had to retire on court no. 2, but Dillman put the Tornados ahead again with a 6-0, 6-1 victory over Strong on court no. 1. Prata put the Tornados within one point of clinching the victory, topping Adum on court no. 3, 6-4, 6-4.
Labus clinched the Brevard victory, defeating Helsel on court no. 4 in straight sets, 6-2, 6-3, to keep their SAC tournament streak alive. Nyman added a victory on court no. 5, topping Ziehe, 6-0, 2-6, 10-4.
McManus closed out the match with a 6-3, 7-5 victory on court no. 6 against Drummond to end the afternoon.
2012 Food Lion SAC tournament pairings will be announced by the SAC office next week, with first round action beginning at the Rock Hill Tennis Center on Thursday, April 19th.
1. Claire Dillman (BCW) def. Ariel Strong (NEWW) 6-0, 6-1
2. Susana Aguirre (NEWW) def. Lindsay Hostetter (BCW) 5-0, 99-0
3. Michelle Prata (BCW) def. Romina Adum (NEWW) 6-4, 6-4
4. Elise Labus (BCW) def. Emily Helsel (NEWW) 6-2, 6-3
5. Jennifer Nyman (BCW) def. Marina Ziehe (NEWW) 6-0, 2-6, 10-4
6. Shannon McManus (NEWW) def. Ana Drummond (BCW) 6-3, 7-5
1. Claire Dillman/Michelle Prata (BCW) def. Ariel Strong/Susana Aguirre (NEWW) 8-2
2. Lindsay Hostetter/Jennifer Nyman (BCW) def. Romina Adum/Emily Helsel (NEWW) 8-3
3. Shannon McManus/Marina Ziehe (NEWW) def. Elise Labus/Ana Drummond (BCW) 8-2