Brevard College Women's Soccer Opens 2013 Slate Against KingSeptember 4, 2013
The Tornados host the Lady Tornado
Following a tough 1-15-2 season, Brevard College will kick off the 2013 slate Thursday against King in a mid-week nonconference match in Brevard, N.C. The action will begin at 5 p.m.
• The two teams have only squared off one other time since 2008 when King bested BC, 2-0, exactly a year ago in Bristol, Tenn. The Lady Tornado finished the season with four consecutive shutout losses.
• Last week, Brevard was tabbed to finish 12th in the 2013 preseason coaches’ poll in the South Atlantic Conference while defending champion Lenoir Rhyne earned the top spot.
• The Tornados will be led by fifth-year coach Shigeyoshi Shinohara. Shinohara’s squad returns 16 players from last season.
• Senior Brittany Webster seeks to continue her outstanding career after claiming the saves leader title in the SAC during the 2012 season. Webster stonewalled 133 shots in 1609:52 minutes while posting consecutive shutouts to start the 2012 campaign. The Stafford, Va. native, recorded double-digit saves on five separate occasions, including a school-record 19 in a 2-0 loss to Young Harris Sept. 11.
• Offensively, sophomore Clair Deese finished second on the team in goals last season with two while pacing the Tornados in shots (14). Junior Lizzie Graham, sophomore Currin Sessions and junior Megan Jenkins each chipped in with a goal. Senior Jamie Bundy tied for the team lead in assists with one while appearing in 15 games with 12 starts. Bundy attempted 11 shots with four landing on target.
• The Tornados welcome 11 new faces to the team including transfers Yuki Soga, Kasi Benskin and Sarah Fonger. Senior Benskin netted a goal with four assists for Erskine College in 2012.
• Brevard has made admission free for all home games this season at the Brevard College Soccer Field. Fans are encouraged to come out and support the Tornados all season long on campus.