BC Welcomes Queens in Conference Opener
BC returns home following a three-match road trip
The Brevard College women’s soccer team returns home following a three-game road trip to open South Atlantic Conference play against Queens Sunday at 2 p.m. at Brevard Soccer Field in Brevard, N.C. The game was originally scheduled for Saturday at 2 p.m., but was moved due to inclement weather.
• The Tornados are amidst a road trip that includes five of six away from home. BC has won more games this season (three) than it did all of last year (two), but has suffered consecutive losses.
• On Tuesday, BC dropped a 3-0 decision to the hands of USC-Aiken. The Tornados and Pacers went into the half tied at 0, but the Pacers offense fired 11 shots in the second half. USC-Aiken found the back of the net in the 53rd, 79th and 83rd minute.
• Head Coach Shigeyoshi Shinohara has used the same starting lineup in all five matches this season.
• Queens is 4-1-1 on the season and is winless in its last two matches. On Wednesday, the Royals opened SAC play and played to a scoreless tie against Tusculum. The Royals are an offensive juggernaut by outshooting oppenents 91-59 on the season, including a 45-24 advantage in the first half.
• The Royals offense is led by Caitlyn Rodrigues, who has six goals on the season, tied for second best in Division II. Brooke Foils has amassed two goals and three assists while goalkeeper Jessyca Young has racked up 21 saves and a 0.79 goals against average.
• This marks the first time in the last five years the two teams have clashed. BC looks to snap a five-match conference-opener losing streak.
• Brevard was tabbed to finish 12th in the 2013 preseason coaches’ poll in the SAC, while defending champion Lenoir Rhyne earned the top spot.