BC Women's Tennis Win Fifth Straight Match on Tuesday Afternoon
BC Women’s Tennis Win Fifth Straight Match on Tuesday Afternoon
Brevard, N.C. – The Brevard College women’s tennis team won their fifth consecutive match on Tuesday afternoon, as the Tornados defeated Wingate University 6-3 at the tennis courts on the campus of Brevard College.
The Tornados jumped out to an early 2-1 lead, as BC won two of the three doubles bouts.
At the No. 1 doubles position, the BC team of Kimberly Dixon and Lindsay Shaeffer defeated the Lady Bulldogs duo of Hollyn Alberghini and Kara Stasikelis, 8-4. The Tornados tandem of Kimberlee Cooper and Kayley Duval also won at the No. 2 spot, dropping Wingate’s team of Shawn Kindley and Pierce Dillard 8-4.
In singles play, the Tornados took four out of the six matches to secure the 6-3 win.
At the No. 1 singles spot, freshman Lindsay Shaeffer bounced back from a disappointing 1-6 second set loss to win the third set 6-3 and ultimately defeat Wingate’s Stasikelis, 6-3, 1-6, 6-3.
BC’s Dixon was also in a very tough match at the No. 2 singles spot on Tuesday, as she won a third set super-tiebreaker to beat Zoe Hartes of Wingate, 4-6, 7-5, 7-6.
At the No. 3 position, the Tornados Duval came storming back from a first set loss to Alberghini to win the match 4-6, 6-2, 6-0.
Sophomore Merek Slagle played well on Tuesday afternoon, as she defeated Ashley Keefer of Wingate in straight sets 6-1, 6-4 at the No. 6 spot.
“It was an awesome win for the ladies. I can not compliment them enough on their fight and determination,” Head Coach Paul Thomson. “I am very proud of what they have accomplished so far this year.”
With the win the Tornados improve to 13-7 on the year and remain undefeated at home.
The Tornados will not have long to rest, as BC will return to the courts tomorrow afternoon. Brevard will host North Georgia College at 1 p.m. This match was re-scheduled due to a rain out earlier this month.
Brevard 6, Wingate 3
1. (BC) Shaeffer/Dixon def. (WU) Alberghini/Stasikelis – 8-4
2. (BC) Cooper/Duval def. (WU) Kindley/Dillard – 8-4
3. (WU) Keefer/Hartas def. (BC) Douglas/Slagle – 8-6
1. (BC) Lindsay Shaeffer def. (WU) Kara Stasikelis – 6-3, 1-6, 6-3
2. (BC) Kimberly Dixon def. (WU) Zoe Hartas – 4-6, 7-5, 7-6 (1)
3. (BC) Kayley Duval def. (WU) Hollyn Alberghini – 4-6, 6-2, 6-0
4. (WU) Pierce Dillard def. (BC) Sara Douglas – 6-3, 6-4
5. (WU) Shawn Kindley def. (BC) Kimberlee Cooper – 6-4, 6-2
6. (BC) Merek Slagle def. (WU) Ashley Keefer – 6-1, 6-4