The Brevard College men’s soccer team wraps up a two-match road swing when they travel to battle Winthrop at Eagle Field in Rock Hill, S.C. Thursday at 7 p.m.
• The Tornados fell to USC-Aiken, 1-0, in a tightly contested matchup on Tuesday evening in Aiken, S.C. The Pacers netted the lone goal in the 35th minute off the foot of Jason King. However, BC was relentless on offense after firing 16 shots. The Tornados were shutout for the first time on the young season.
• BC matched its win total from last season (two) with the victory on Saturday against King.
• BC is 2-0 at home this season compared to 0-2 on the road. The Tornados are in a stretch of four games in seven days.
• Winthrop is undefeated this season with a 4-0-1 record. The Eagles have won three 2-1 decisions and walloped Stetson, 5-2, on Sunday at the Mercer Classic. Three Eagles have netted a pair of goals while goalkeeper Guilherme Avelar boasts a 0.96 goals against average.
• This marks the sixth consecutive season that the squads have met. The last two matches have been played as exhibitions, but the Eagles have won three straight (2008-10). Winthrop has allowed only one goal during its three-match win streak against the Tornados.
• Heath Turner, Alec Goettl, Paulo Silva and Ryan McPhillips are the only Tornados to start every match this season. Silva (nine) and McPhillips (seven) sit first and third on the squad, respectively, in shots taken. Turner leads the South Atlantic Conference with 22 saves.
• The Tornados have been outshot 35-22 in the first half this season, but owns the second half advantage, 26-20.
• BC head coach and Athletic Director Juan Mascaro enters his seventh season at the helm for the Tornados.
• Brevard was tabbed to finish 12th in the 2013 preseason coaches’ poll in the South Atlantic Conference while nationally-ranked No. 12 Wingate earned the top spot.